Britain’s largest property company to be formed in £3.4bn deal

 

Hammerson, which owns Birmingham’s Bullring, has made an offer to acquire shopping centre giant Intu, owner of Manchester’s Trafford Centre.

British property development and investment company Hammerson made the takeover bid to establish itself as a “larger leading European real estate investment trust (REIT) to enhance shareholder returns and allow for long-term growth”, according to CEO David Atkins.

The deal would result in the creation of Britain’s largest property company, worth £21bn. The new business would invest in “only the best shopping centres”, following the existing trends of both companies, to provide the best offering to retailers.

The retail sector has seen some uncertainty in recent years, with retail employment falling by 62,000 last year as online shopping puts more pressure on the high street. Lower spending powers across the general population have also led to lower than average spending figures, and higher inflation rates since the decision to leave the EU have also had an effect on consumer spending.

Retail resilience

Last month, however, Intu revealed figures showing that footfall in its shopping centres had improved, and the 96% occupancy rate of its shops across all of its centres had remained stable.

John Strachan, chairman of Intu, said: “A combination of both Intu and Hammerson will create a more resilient, diversified and stronger group that we believe will benefit all our stakeholders.

“Intu offers high-quality retail and leisure destinations in the UK and Spain, which when merged with Hammerson’s own top-quality assets in the UK, in France and in Ireland, present a highly attractive proposition for retailers and shoppers in Europe’s leading cities.”

Hammerson shareholders will receive a 55% stake in the company, and Intu shareholder will get the remaining 45%.

Highgrove Mews

High Net Yield Freehold Houses

  • Commutable to London (27 mins to central Paddington station)
  • Rental demand extremely strong with large industry presence in Reading
  • Freehold with 4% net yield

£284,955 - £457,000

St Petersgate – Stockport Manchester

New Launch - Stockport Manchester, apartments from £160,000

  • Discounted launch prices from £160,000
  • Excellent transport links with 3 trains per hour to London Euston and only 9 mins journey to Manchester Piccadilly
  • Experienced development team

Assured Rent Housing Association Leases

Assured Rent Housing Association Leases

  • Assured rent & no rental voids
  • Tenant damage cover & newly refurbished inline with requirements of a corporate sitting tenant
  • Free property and lettings management

From £62,000

Emerging Birmingham Commuter Town With Properties From Just £104,000

The emerging Birmingham commuter town where properties are selling in an average of just 24 days

  • A collection of 62 two bedroom apartments and 28 one bedroom apartments.
  • DE14 is one of the fastest selling postcodes in the West Midlands.
  • 23 minute train journey into Birmingham New Street Station.

Properties from £104,000

Mill, Stockport

The Northwest's emerging property hotspot

  • Discounted off-plan 2-bed prices from £162,000
  • Completion date - Q4 2021
  • Rental yields - 6% plus

Discounted off-plan 2-bed prices from £162,000

South Central – Birmingham City Centre Apartments

Highly anticipated 28 storey launch in Birmingham City Centre with an impressive roof garden and communal facilities.

  • 154 units across 28 storeys
  • Residential multi-media community room, gym, roof garden and sky cinema
  • Excellent future connectivity via the metro system to other key transport hubs and locations around the city

from £205,800

ba-

Talk to us

Speak to our UK property experts today: 

+44 (0) 333 123 0320

Open from 9am-6pm GMT

+852 9865 4446

Open from 9am-6pm HKT

Stamp Duty Calculator

.

Unlock members only investment opportunities and full development details. Join now – it’s free, quick and easy.

Login

Not a member? Sign up for free

shopping centre

Britain’s largest property company to be formed in £3.4bn deal

Example

By submitting your details via this online form you agree to be contacted via email/phone/SMS by Direct Marketplace Ltd t/a BuyAssociation in relation to property investment and property developments . We do not share your personal details with third parties.  To view our full Privacy Policy click here.