Re-mortgaging a Property


Most clients tend to re-mortgage when their fixed term mortgage comes to an end. They tend to re-mortgage before the variable rate comes into force under their original mortgage.

When you re-mortgage property, it is likely that your initial point of contact will be a mortgage broker.

It is best to approach a whole of market mortgage broker who is not tied to any particular lender, so they can get you the best mortgage rates.

Once you have found a lender, and you are happy with the rates they are providing, they will ask you to sign a copy of their mortgage offer, and ask you to nominate the solicitor who will be acting on yours and the lenders behalf. That solicitor must be able to act on behalf of the lender as well. So in essence they must be on the Lender’s panel of solicitors.

Once you have selected your solicitor, the lender will then write to them, with their solicitors instructions. Your solicitor will then send through to you all relevant documentation for you to complete and return.

Once your solicitor is in receipt of the signed documentation, they will then download the official copies of the register of your legal title from the Land Registry and review the legal documentation and will also check through your property information forms to check that no further covenants have been breached.

Provided that this is the case, then they will check the council of mortgage lenders handbook to see if the lender whom you are re-mortgaging to accepts a no search insurance policy. If they do, then your solicitor will put the policy in place. If they don’t then they will commission the required searches.

At this stage, your existing lender will be contacted for the redemption statement, i.e. the amount you are required to pay the existing lender for them to discharge their mortgage.

Funds from the new lender will then be requested and put in place pre-completion searches to protect their charge.

Once your solicitor receives the funds from the new lender, they will send those to the old lender and redeem the charge.

They will then proceed to register the charge at the Land Registry, and send your new lender a copy of the title information document showing the new charge registered.

This article is part of our “Expert Advice” series and features advice from Aashim Dhand, Managing Director at PLS Solicitors. For more help get in contact with PLS here.

Highgrove Mews

High Net Yield Freehold Houses

  • Commutable to London (27 mins to central Paddington station)
  • Rental demand extremely strong with large industry presence in Reading
  • Freehold with 4% net yield

£284,955 - £457,000

St Petersgate – Stockport Manchester

New Launch - Stockport Manchester, apartments from £160,000

  • Discounted launch prices from £160,000
  • Excellent transport links with 3 trains per hour to London Euston and only 9 mins journey to Manchester Piccadilly
  • Experienced development team

Assured Rent Housing Association Leases

Assured Rent Housing Association Leases

  • Assured rent & no rental voids
  • Tenant damage cover & newly refurbished inline with requirements of a corporate sitting tenant
  • Free property and lettings management

From £62,000

Emerging Birmingham Commuter Town With Properties From Just £104,000

The emerging Birmingham commuter town where properties are selling in an average of just 24 days

  • A collection of 62 two bedroom apartments and 28 one bedroom apartments.
  • DE14 is one of the fastest selling postcodes in the West Midlands.
  • 23 minute train journey into Birmingham New Street Station.

Properties from £104,000

Mill, Stockport

The Northwest's emerging property hotspot

  • Discounted off-plan 2-bed prices from £162,000
  • Completion date - Q4 2021
  • Rental yields - 6% plus

Discounted off-plan 2-bed prices from £162,000

South Central – Birmingham City Centre Apartments

Highly anticipated 28 storey launch in Birmingham City Centre with an impressive roof garden and communal facilities.

  • 154 units across 28 storeys
  • Residential multi-media community room, gym, roof garden and sky cinema
  • Excellent future connectivity via the metro system to other key transport hubs and locations around the city

from £205,800


Talk to us

Speak to our UK property experts today: 

+44 (0) 333 123 0320

Open from 9am-6pm GMT

+852 9865 4446

Open from 9am-6pm HKT

Stamp Duty Calculator


Unlock members only investment opportunities and full development details. Join now – it’s free, quick and easy.


Not a member? Sign up for free

Re-mortgaging a Property

Re-mortgaging a Property


By submitting your details via this online form you agree to be contacted via email/phone/SMS by Direct Marketplace Ltd t/a BuyAssociation in relation to property investment and property developments . We do not share your personal details with third parties.  To view our full Privacy Policy click here.